Shift light steering wheel.........do you use it?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
meladdo

Re: Shift light steering wheel.........do you use it?

Post by meladdo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:56 pm

ASK A SILLY QUESTION :roflp: - OK OK I will spec a shift light wheel ;D ;D ;D

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Only downside is it hides the top of the dash so you cannot see your indicator light flashing and flashing.....and flashing.....but if you dont tend to leave it on then no worries.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:39 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
Only downside is it hides the top of the dash so you cannot see your indicator light flashing and flashing.....and flashing.....but if you dont tend to leave it on then no worries.
[/quote]

Oh yeah I forgot that. Although when it's sunny I can't c the indicator flashing anyway.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:41 pm

;D Isnt that called Charm :roflp:

payne

Post by payne » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:51 pm

I'd recommend you save the money and build one yourself.  It cost me about $35 to build a better setup that uses LEDs from a motorcycle and locates them under the dash.

The plug on the back of the dash is just a simple connector from a computer to power hard drives.  I cut one out of an old computer, wired it to 3 LEDs, and attached them to my dash with angle alunimum and 3M trim tape.  Took me about an hour to do.

A few people have complained that the LED steering wheel causes visibility issues with the top of the speedo and tach.

I also have warning lights for oil pressure and oil temps :)

Jason

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Not forgetting the self-cancelling indicator option from Bruce !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="l33haw"]
[quote="Trigger"]
Turn ignition on while holding the odometer button on the side of the dash. You will then enter the menus - keep pressing until you get to the option you want (Shift lights/Trigger points). Push and hold to enter that item. Push button to go up in 100 rpm sections and then leave for a few seconds to go back to menu. Thats it really.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give it a go. So basically press to scroll, hold to enter, leave to go back.

How hard can it be?
[/quote]

Yep exactly that.  Fairly frustrating to use but the bonus is you don't have to set up the dash too often.
[/quote]

Right iv been whizzing around the dash now and with those simple controls to get around its actually very easy, many thanks for the tips.

I wondered if any SPA experts could answer a couple of questions about specific settings?

1-shift light flash. Does this automatically flash at a set RPM when set to 'yes'? if so what RPM? (iv tried looking in practice but its all a bit mental at that moments and difficult to be sure what the dash is saying)
2-flash time - mine's is set at 12, was does this number refer to?
3-Low fuel set - what value means what?
4-tank reserve empty - as above.

I know im asking allot, but the Handbook doesnt go into detail on what most of the units refer to and i cant find an SPA user guide PDF to help.

Any help greatfully recieved and will probably be of use to a few other people wondering similar things.

Thanks

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Shift Light Flash - On or Off - On tells it to flash the Shift Light 3 and Tacho Needle when engine rpm exceed Shift Light 3. Off just lights Shift Light 3 and Tacho Needle.

Flash Time - If set to 2, then Shift Light 3 and the Tacho Needle will flash for 2 seconds, then remain on until the rpm drops below the Shift Light 3 threshold.

Low Fuel Set - Range 01 to 100. Arbitrary value that probably needs setting by trial and error.
Presumably sets the point at which the fuel gauge starts to flash E.

Tank Res Empty - Sets the calibration so that when the tank is empty, the needle reads empty!

Someone in the US I believe, emptied the tank, measured the resistance of the fuel gauge sensor then added a litre and measured the resistance again etc until it was full. He was then able to plot a graph and program the dash so that the gauge was more linear and accurate.

I've attached a user manual that TMI made available. You need to be aware that our Atom dash has restricted functionality in some areas. If you don't know what something does, best leave alone  :wize:
Attachments
SPA Kitdash.pdf
(124.77 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Last edited by John Scherrer on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Here's more info about the fuel gauge calibration - It was Lane who plotted the graph, worth a read!

http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomclub.com/phpbbnew/viewtopic.php?p=203520#p203520

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:32 am

That fuel gauge stuff was interesting. 

Having recently run out of fuel, added a litre from a can and then driven half a mile to a garage.  I certainly couldn't get 40 litres in there; even filling it right up the fuel pipe.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks for the info guys, some really useful stuff there, esp the SPA PDF and fuel set thread.

I think ill increase the fuel avg time so its less iratic, and reduce the low fuel set so i get a bit more of any idea how much is in there instead of spending half a tank on a flashing E.

Think i will also change the cylinders to 8. Probably cheaper than buying one of those new V8 thingys.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:27 pm

"Think i will also change the cylinders to 8"

You'll be able to set the red line at 17,200 then  ;D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:09 pm

On a normally aspirated Atom you can just use your ears to know where you are in the rev range - especially on a 2-220!

On a supercharged one it's harder to hear engine revs so shift lights are more useful.

They're bling whether you need them or not, though.

I found that shift lights on the steering wheel of my previous Atom just obscured the top half of the dash so I never knew what speed I was going. This might be a good thing...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:55 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Here's more info about the fuel gauge calibration - It was Lane who plotted the graph, worth a read!

http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomclub.com/phpbbnew/viewtopic.php?p=203520#p203520
[/quote]

Bear in mind that this was for a Brammo Atom with a GM fuel pump and fuel level sender mechanism. Results for cars other than that will likely vary.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:20 pm

I can see the tacho and speedo fine, just can't see the indicator lights - just as well I have the self-cancelling wotnots ..
Last edited by John Scherrer on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.