Shift light steering wheel.........do you use it?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
meladdo

Shift light steering wheel.........do you use it?

Post by meladdo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:07 am

Be Honest - how often do you look at the shift lights on the steering wheel...... if you have them?

jpswift

Re: Shift light steering wheel.........do you use it?

Post by jpswift » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 am

quite alot really, mainly on track though.............

you  dont  look at it closely , but you are aware of the change in colours

looks smart at night though

justin
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:27 am

Agree with JP - not on the road but on track the colour change and flashing red before hitting the limiter is good - do you need it ? No - but for the money I like it and feel it's worth the extra over the one without

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:36 am

A few weeks back when out on a blat I ran into the rev limiter for the first time and was a little confused as to why/how it happened, then when I removed the steering wheel I noticed one of the wires had popped out of the shift light cable connector. It was the wire for the red and final shift light which obviously didn’t illuminate resulting in me not changing up on queue and hitting the limiter.

I deduced from this that I use the shift lights subconsciously way more than I’m actually aware of.

As mentioned, on track they are especially useful.

I do find mine are set a little low, something like yellow = 5k, orange about 6k, red 7k, flashes 7.5-8k. I wouldn’t mind the red light coming a bit later but you kind of tune into them anyway.

The guy who had my Atom before me had it added, and from memory the receipt from the factory was around £150, which seems reasonable to me.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:48 am

[quote="l33haw"]

I do find mine are set a little low, something like yellow = 5k, orange about 6k, red 7k, flashes 7.5-8k. I wouldn’t mind the red light coming a bit later but you kind of tune into them anyway.

[/quote]

You can change this via the dash and the odometer reset button

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="l33haw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i did read that, and also read you can change the feul guage setting which would be useful, but it looks very complicated and scary, not sure i want to risk messing the whole dash up.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm

[quote="l33haw"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="l33haw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i did read that, and also read you can change the feul guage setting which would be useful, but it looks very complicated and scary, not sure i want to risk messing the whole dash up.
[/quote]

You should not be able to mess the whole dash up, but if you are not confident wait until you are at the factory and they will do it for you in a few seconds.  Or if I ever see you on track or whereever I will do it.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:29 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="l33haw"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="l33haw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You should not be able to mess the whole dash up, but if you are not confident wait until you are at the factory and they will do it for you in a few seconds.  Or if I ever see you on track or whereever I will do it.
[/quote]

Bugger, was at the factory last Friday. Oh well. Cheers for the offer, I'll take u up on that if I c u on track or at a meet/event. Thanks.
Last edited by l33haw on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:44 pm

I found on track I hit the limiter a bit so fitted the shift lights. On track it definitely helps - as has been said when I dont have the shift light wheel on I go back to hitting the limiter so it definitely helps eventhough it doesnt feel like I look at it much.

Changing the revs where the lights come on is soooo easy. Mine is set for 5500, 6500 and 7750 I think.

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Easy enough to step by step it on here? I'm tempted now!

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Turn ignition on while holding the odometer button on the side of the dash. You will then enter the menus - keep pressing until you get to the option you want (Shift lights/Trigger points). Push and hold to enter that item. Push button to go up in 100 rpm sections and then leave for a few seconds to go back to menu. Thats it really.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:20 pm

cool

how do i drop the mileage ?
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:23 pm

I tried a non-shift light wheel back-to-back with a shift-light wheel. The shift light wheel is a slightly different design - thicker on the rim at 9 and 3 o'clock. Feels much better in your hands. So I bought it for the thickness not the flashing. Cue filthy response...
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:27 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
Turn ignition on while holding the odometer button on the side of the dash. You will then enter the menus - keep pressing until you get to the option you want (Shift lights/Trigger points). Push and hold to enter that item. Push button to go up in 100 rpm sections and then leave for a few seconds to go back to menu. Thats it really.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give it a go. So basically press to scroll, hold to enter, leave to go back.

How hard can it be?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:48 pm

[quote="l33haw"]
[quote="Trigger"]
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give it a go. So basically press to scroll, hold to enter, leave to go back.

How hard can it be?
[/quote]

Yep exactly that.  Fairly frustrating to use but the bonus is you don't have to set up the dash too often.