Shift light steering wheel.........do you use it?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
l33haw

Re: Shift light steering wheel.........do you use it?

Post by l33haw » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:51 am

[quote="John Scherrer"]
I can see the tacho and speedo fine, just can't see the indicator lights - just as well I have the self-cancelling wotnots ..
[/quote]

Im the same, but i gues it also depends on how tall you are, how high you sit, what seats you have etc.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:17 am

Good point Lee, well presented ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:15 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Shift Light Flash - On or Off - On tells it to flash the Shift Light 3 and Tacho Needle when engine rpm exceed Shift Light 3. Off just lights Shift Light 3 and Tacho Needle.

Flash Time - If set to 2, then Shift Light 3 and the Tacho Needle will flash for 2 seconds, then remain on until the rpm drops below the Shift Light 3 threshold.

Low Fuel Set - Range 01 to 100. Arbitrary value that probably needs setting by trial and error.
Presumably sets the point at which the fuel gauge starts to flash E.

Tank Res Empty - Sets the calibration so that when the tank is empty, the needle reads empty!

Someone in the US I believe, emptied the tank, measured the resistance of the fuel gauge sensor then added a litre and measured the resistance again etc until it was full. He was then able to plot a graph and program the dash so that the gauge was more linear and accurate.

I've attached a user manual that TMI made available. You need to be aware that our Atom dash has restricted functionality in some areas. If you don't know what something does, best leave alone  :wize:
[/quote]

Sorry guys quick question for 'tank reserve empty'.

Iv now run my tank dry, any tips on what I need to do to tell it that it's now empty?

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:26 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Not forgetting the self-cancelling indicator option from Bruce !
[/quote]

I missed the toggle switch in my 7 when I upgraded to one without it.....so I am looking forward to getting the low tech switch back in the Atom :tu:
Last edited by meladdo on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Lee,

It's not Tank Reserve Empty but Tank Resistance Empty.

There are effectively 2 wires connected to a variable resistor attached to the float. The resistance varies in relation to the float level. If the tank were a perfect cube, this would be linear (if the resistance at empty were 0 ohms and 100 ohms at full, then half-full would be 50 ohms (say). In reality, tanks are funny shapes to fit in funny-shaped places.

The Tank Setup parameter is to attempt to calibrate odd-shaped tanks so that they indicate in a linear way on the LCD Fuel display.

The setting for Tank Resistance Empty is adjustable from 1 to 300. I think you need to adjust this number so that when the tank is empty, the LCD on the dash shows empty. Just a trial and error thing. Note what it is now, then adjust it gradually in either direction and note what effect it has on the dash fuel display.

Low Fuel Set (I think) is the fuel level point at which the Fuel LCD display starts flashing.

Fuel Avg Time adjusts the average time it monitors the fuel level sensor before deciding to move the LCD display to aid anti-slosh effects and makes the display more (or less) sluggish to gravitational effects.
Last edited by John Scherrer on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:43 am

Thanks Jon, I'll have another play this morning, although I'll try not to get too anal about it as at the end of the day it's an Atom not a Golf so I guess a funny fuel guage isn't the end of the world. (plus I think this level of SPA tinkering may be beyond me)

sgtatom245

Post by sgtatom245 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:36 am

A few weeks back when out on a blat I ran into the rev limiter for the first time and was a little confused as to why/how it happened, then when I removed the steering wheel I noticed one of the wires had popped out of the shift light cable connector. It was the wire for the red and final shift light which obviously didn’t illuminate resulting in me not changing up on queue and hitting the limiter.

Mine did exactly the same a few months back, didn't realise how much I used it till it was knackered, although I tend to disconnect it when it's dark and just use the rev counter needle, as it's rather bright for those late night blasts, and Im usually illuminated by my headlights reflecting off the footwell,mudguards and front suspension  ;)

Autoshield

Post by Autoshield » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:31 pm

Would be grateful for a write up how to set fuel gauge and also shift light but that’s of lower priority. Old links in this thread is not valid anymore 🥲🙏🏻

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:37 pm

Here's the new link to the info about how a US owner - Lane - calibrated his fuel gauge

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7794&p=158194&hili ... ge#p158194

I've re-attached the SPA Dash Handbook (Analog dials) that explains the fuel gauge setup and a host of other SPA dash settings.
Attachments
SPA Kitdash.pdf
(124.77 KiB) Downloaded 31 times