Model (miniature) Atoms

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 am

All in all pretty good for a 1st printing !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:12 am

looks great norm

dont forget to get the steering wheel put on the correct side though...........  ;)
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

ross

Post by ross » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:59 am

Look amazing Norm - nice work!

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 am

+1  :tu:  awesome!

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:21 pm

I will look into ambidextrous chassis options for you Justin. 

After a careful inspection last night, I can do rolling (actually it is already done), I can do suspension by fixing a few things, but, I am not sure that I can do steering.  I am going to look at taking the full motion joints out and just depend on the flexibility of the nylon.  Right now with the slop in the system, you can take one tire and rotate it quite far with no effect on the other, kind of reminds me of an old Land Cruiser I had with bad steering.

The printed shocks are very cool, to bad I have to change them.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Love to see a video of it actually printing. How the hell do you print something like that.  A solid object I can understand but my brain can't fathom how you'd print something like that

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:07 pm

First print of Ariel Atom model 1/24th scale

The front steering is a laugh.  I am pleased that within the range of reasonable travel the suspension keeps the tires straight.  The suspension does articulate well, just never puts pressure on the shocks.  One of the pinned positions on the left front upright needs more support, it broke and the upper A-arm is flopping around.  I am surprised at how easy it rolls and moves being that it is all 3D printed without modification.  OK, I added the tires.

Stew this is a Shapeways vid on laser sintering, layer by layer, you will get the idea ...
Shapeways White, Strong & Flexible 3D Printing

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Stew, here is another one that I really got nothing out of, but, liked it a whole lot more :tu:

3D Printing / Laser Sintering: Explained by Lisa Harouni

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:37 pm

That is some amazing kit. and an amazing process!
Great stuff norm. Subscribed to your utube channel now to follow your vids.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:34 am

Stew, I am afraid  almost 80% of my youtube is unlisted as it deals with my customers property and I cannot make them public.  That and I never take the time to mix music or explain what is going on, LOL

Anx

Post by Anx » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am

Here's one in it's natural environment... :)  I picked it up for my local dealer (Forman Motorworks) - he loves the Atom so I knew it was just the right gift for the holidays.  The output from Shapeways is very good - much higher than anything I've managed yet, but of course their 3D printers cost about 20x of mine - but the model is fabulous.  Show it to anyone and they won't believe that it was printed, so instead of answering questions about your car, you'll be answering questions about 3D printing instead.  ;)
Attachments
IMAG0671s.jpg

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:11 am

Cool pic.  I already have next years in my mind and it will be off the hook.  I am still amazed by the surface detail your machine can do, I keep coming back to that.

My wife decided that the ornament needed glitter ::)  So she took the test mule and the test mule for a snowflake ornament and glittered them.  Um, ... no!  I can't show a pic, just say no.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:29 pm

I see my last day to order mule no. 2 is Dec 11 and have it for the Christmas break.  I am going to hurry and do the modifications tomorrow.  I was going to do an engine that stores energy inside a large flexible nylon coil, but, I don't have the transmission figured out yet, so, mule 3.  I may do the engine anyway to see if the off and on controls and the rotation stops work.  Yeah complete silliness

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Mule 2 is here:

[img width=1024 height=620]http://www.imgtree.net/files/8gtg1cv0jq7dkq7hv6cq.jpg[/img]
Yes, that is the broken remains of mule 1 in the back. The wife stepped on it. If you consider it was used as a shoe it did not come out that bad and I never heard a cry out at the time of the incident, so, WSF must be spongy and soft on bare feet.

Issues:
  1. The suspension does work. It holds the car up and the springs compress when pressed. Fishkiller will tell me I have it set up way to stiff. Definitely the bias is off the front is much softer than the back.
  2. The steering does not work, oh it moves back and forth, but, there is way too much actual slop at the wheels to call it steering. It might be better called gentle nudge or hopefully guidance. I am going to have to think of a solution for this as if I make a solid attachment of steering shaft and wheel it will be too much articulation and be almost immediately a breakage point.
  3. The Team Dynamic 1.2 Pro's look great
  4. With the stiffening of the tray under the seats the frame is very robust now. No I still don't think it should be used for stepping on though.
  5. The revised articulation of the back wheels has made them very sturdy.
  6. The energy storing spring was a success. Too much success actually, it stores a ton of energy and is all stored up before it gets to my release mechanism.
  7. The entire drive mechanism has one big failing and one little one. Too much slop between the shafts, I need to either provide more support for the driving shaft or link the support between them or both. The energy storage system as designed does not work as the push shaft near the tire just pushes on the plate until the shaft moves the plate out of the wayrolleyes.png. The spring to force the drive shaft gear into the spring gear is too worthless and weak
  8. One of the rear shocks is having issues getting rid of the unused printing powder and the shaft only goes in partway.
Wattie, do you want me to start my own thread?

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:57 am