Model (miniature) Atoms

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
wattie

Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by wattie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 pm

That little Atom would be well cool........think most of us would have one on a shelf somewhere if it was available.

Good pic, Cheers Wattie

(Moderators note: This topic was split from discussion, in the 2011 - Modified (image editing software) Category. of the photo competition board, of this picture...)

[img width=485 height=600]http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php?act ... 9688;image[/img]
Last edited by wattie on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Bolus in the US was making one last year but his hands reacted badly to the modelling materials he was using and he had to stop .. It was looking seriosuly good ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Jimmer210

Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by Jimmer210 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Yeah have been scouring the net/model shops for a model of one. The only thing I can find was s crappy 'Stig' remote control one. I REALLY wany a nice crafted version and was actually thinking of starting a little project in making a large scale model from scratch! Main problem is that I now seem to spend most weekends (and spare cash) on ragging it round various race circuits in Spain....
I even tried in a special model makers in London town, nothing that they knew of but said they had made a model of a 1960 Maserati Birdcage Typo 60/61. Similar but a little more intricate.. Anyone have any ideas on where/how we can get our hands on some slick models... Come on Airfix, can you fix it for us......  ;D

NormLarson

Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by NormLarson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Well, ... we are in the world of 3D printing whereby a manufacturer can license their 3D model to a printer and they can make amazing models.  I have asked TMI and the factory, more people couldn't hurt.  I just grabbed a quick Google search and came up with this, but, there are very many http://www.dimensionprinting.com/

Jimmer210

Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by Jimmer210 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Hey Norm... Yeah we use 3D printing here and have certainly seen MASSIVE evbolution in this world. We started with some brittle plastic prototype parts a few years back and are now developing Titanium 3D printing for some of our race boat mast parts.
I still think there is a space for a hand built braized miniature frame with machined/3D Printed wheels/parts etc.. I can just see some thin ply composites for the body panels  :drool:
Oh how I wish I had the time.......
Perhaps we should move this one/make a new forum of 'Atom models' (not that type!!!!!)?? Although I am glad my photo has generated such a discussion (votes??) ;)

wisp

Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by wisp » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:46 am

[quote="Jimmer210"]
Perhaps we should move this one/make a new forum of 'Atom models' (not that type!!!!!)?? Although I am glad my photo has generated such a discussion (votes??) ;)
[/quote]

I can split of the posts starting at Wattie's to a new topic if you like.

Jimmer210

Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by Jimmer210 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:18 am

Why not... Sounds like there may be a 'little' bit of interest in a model thread... Cheers John

wisp

Re: Model (miniature) Atoms

Post by wisp » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:22 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Bolus in the US was making one last year but his hands reacted badly to the modelling materials he was using and he had to stop .. It was looking seriosuly good ..
[/quote]

Unfortunately that thread is now an unsightly mess of images that fail to load as Eric took them down. This is the only one I can find, that is of the chassis.
Attachments
model.jpg

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:10 pm

He did do an amazing job with that.  So, Jimmer, since you work with 3D printing, what are their limitations?  I have seen excellent color, precise accuracy, but, I have always wondered about durability ..
Last edited by NormLarson on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmer210

Post by Jimmer210 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:56 pm

That really is a great job on the framework... Just what I had in mind! Very impressive.
In terms of 3D printing I was under the same impression/understanding as you, great accuracy and colour but the parts always seemed to be brittle and break VERY easily. We had a couple of prototypes made for a yacht show and they broke before we could get them in the display case.
In the last week we have just tried manufacturing a high load part for our masts/rigging in printed titanium. Previously the parts were made (machined at HIGH cost) in austenitic stainless - Nitronic 50. The parts we made acheived a break load of over 17,000kg (37,478lb) and the ropes (albeit high tenacity composites) broke before the printing... Mighty impressive for a 50mm x 20mm small part (and considering past experiences).
I would say that over the next year this tech will develop rapidly along with other composite technology such as thin ply carbon/thermo plastic carbons etc. Will keep you up to speed as I see the results flutter across my paper strewn desk!

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Great, ... hopefully I see your response over the sticky notes ...

SpatialThreat

Post by SpatialThreat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Put me on the list of people who would love to have a model on my desk at work...  :tu:

Make me remember that I work just so I can get off later and  :vroom:

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 pm

had my top gear RC atom stolen in the burglary.  :doh: :police:

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:52 pm

I have been working on a Christmas ornament for myself.  I got the first print back yesterday and I am very pleased with it.  There are a few structural items that I have to fix, but, I should be able to print the final for my tree today or tomorrow.  It takes two weeks to get after ordering though.  It was pointed out elsewhere that it looked like an Atom in a cage, .. it doesn't in person.  It is as light as a feather and very tough, you just have to love 3D printing!

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.imgtree.net/files/onxkj795sohxaovljipb.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.imgtree.net/files/eaz9kqrph93fdqcen9b1.jpg[/img]

I need to research if there is a way to add contrast to printed nylon as the detail does tend to wash away in the overt whiteness.

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:00 pm

i love seeing the stuff you come up with norm  :tu:
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS