Near Misses, Hairy moments in your Atom?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
RedRaven

Near Misses, Hairy moments in your Atom?

Post by RedRaven » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:56 pm

Given the Atom's capability to get you into trouble (and out of it too)... what are some of your white-knuckle moments while on the road or track?

Mr.Woolery

Re: Near Misses, Hairy moments in your Atom?

Post by Mr.Woolery » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:11 am

So far my hairiest white knuckle Atom experience has been writing the $20,000 deposit check.  :D

It really was a big deal for someone of my means.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:46 am

That's a great question - because I don't think I've had any...

Yes, I've had thrills when accelerating braking and cornering, and the car has gone loose front end and back, but at no time did I feel that the whole thing was so totally out of control that I couldn't get it back, or if spinning, that anything scary was going to happen.

The only time I feel trepidatious at all is when tangling with heavy lorries on the motorway. When the wheels are higher than your head, you do tend to press the loud button to escape as quickly as possible!

However, the sickest I've ever felt was when I watched my mate stuff my Mk1 into the Armco at Coombe!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:24 am

The hairiest moment I've had was coming to a stop,as I press the brake pedal, I also inadvertantly press the gas pedal at the same time, it was a heart stopping moment, could have cause serious damage and it was only my second time out with it!!

The reason why I did it was probably due to the bad habit I've built up over the years, rather than pressing the brake pedal fully face on, I tends to press more on the right hand side of the pedal, so half my shoe still sticks out and managed to press the gas pedal too ::)

hollypop

Post by hollypop » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:31 am

[quote="g8kam"]
The reason why I did it was probably due to the bad habit I've built up over the years, rather than pressing the brake pedal fully face on, I tends to press more on the right hand side of the pedal, so half my shoe still sticks out and managed to press the gas pedal too ::)
[/quote]

I do exactly the same thing! It has also got me into some scary situations in my Clio! Good job I don't drive an atom then  :D and  :(

ross

Post by ross » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:39 am

I've got a video clip of a pretty hairy fishtail moment someone had on the road in a Mark 1 a few years ago - I'll see if I can dig the clip out and put a link up.
Last edited by ross on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:40 am

[quote="hollypop"]
[quote="g8kam"]
[/quote]

I do exactly the same thing! It has also got me into some scary situations in my Clio! Good job I don't drive an atom then  :D and  :(
[/quote]May be we have an natural talent for heel & toe ;D ;D ;D

daytonatom

Post by daytonatom » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:09 am

[quote="g8kam"]
The hairiest moment I've had was coming to a stop,as I press the brake pedal, I also inadvertantly press the gas pedal at the same time, it was a heart stopping moment, could have cause serious damage and it was only my second time out with it!!

[/quote]

Exact same thing happened to me the day I test drove a bloke's Mk1 up in Birmingham a few years ago. Was going full ball towards a T-junction at the time - you should have seen the bloke's face! Learned my lesson, I only wear 'racing boot' style shoes now when driving the Atom, at the time I was wearing heavy duty motorcycle boots.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:13 am

Yes, too many now, but I'm thinking of writing a book called "Why's the back end in front of me?"

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:48 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
I've got a video clip of a pretty hairy fishtail moment I had on the road in my Mark 1 a few years ago - I'll see if I can dig the clip out and put a link up.
[/quote]

Is this clip now on Google Video?  A new one was just added that seems to be what you've described.

ross

Post by ross » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:03 pm

Oh really???  Do you have a link?.....ah found it.....yes that looks similar ;)

I've no idea who was driving, but it looks like the road surface was crap and a mid corner bump caused the driver to lift off.  Fantastic save though whoever it was....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ariel+atom
Last edited by ross on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:10 pm

Geez! That was a hairy moment :)

fish

Post by fish » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:25 pm

That will have sharpened his mind a tad...

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:37 pm

For the Atom, with the weight being rear biased, how close was that to a spin? Good reactions. Video sounds like you lifted and it hooked right up.

Until you've done 2 complete 360's on two lane blacktop in the rain, in a performance sedan, with 3 people in the car at 80 mph.... Sharpen your mind? Give you the adrenalin shakes is more like it. :) It does sharpen the tongue of the girlfriend sitting in the back seat though.  ???  ;D

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:43 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Oh really???  Do you have a link?.....ah found it.....yes that looks similar ;)

I've no idea who was driving, but it looks like the road surface was rather poor and a mid corner bump caused the driver to lift off.  Fantastic save though whoever it was....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ariel+atom
[/quote]

Is that oversteer or power oversteer?