Ariel Atom vs Bugatti Veyron

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Driver

Re: Ariel Atom vs Bugatti Veyron

Post by Driver » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:46 am

What I meant is people should not ignorant. I can't tell you the number of people that have never held or even shot a gun that are outright scared to pull the trigger on one in a controlled, safe location like a gun range. Yet they'll get in a car and trun the key. There's lots of other examples. But ignorance and responsibilty is not something that is easily explained away. Guns have always been around in the US and there's nothing they can do to get them out of the hand of crooks. millions are out there. Go ahead and do like Australia (?) did some years ago and take them away from the law abiding people. I beleive the reports I saw said violent crimes were up something like 40% the following year. Crooks could now go into a house pretty certain the citizens couldn't defend themselves. I may not be as eloquent as some but unless you've been around them how are you qualified to argue one side or the other?  There's lots of other senseless items (like pools) that cause more deaths. Personal Watercraft, ATV's, bicycles on public roads, etc...

And here in the states most people with pools have them behind locked gates. Even then they get sued when some idiot jumps their fence.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:07 am

[quote="Driver"]
And here in the states most people with pools have them behind locked gates. Even then they get sued when some idiot jumps their fence.
[/quote]

Regrettably this is the way we're (the UK) is going! If something goes wrong, who can I blame (sue).

We now have crappy TV ads in the afternoon encouraging people to sue for all sorts of things! Whether this is right or wrong is down to the individual but it's one of the reasons my opinion of the legal profession has changed - I respect them less! In fact I deplore this sort of blame culture.

Our health service has to make contingency plans (set aside funds) to meet the cost of litigation.

Anyway, it's Sunday, blue skies, sunshine. I need to get a shower as I feel the 'call of the wild' (Atom)!

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:24 pm

[quote="dazzas-atom300"]
Bike loses.... So does Veyron by quite some way too...
[/quote]

I would doubt that... (not that I like the car, but...) if Audi's claims are true the Veyron would do 0 - 150 in about the same time, just under 10 seconds. It does do 0 - 186 in "less than 14 seconds" so it wouldn't be far behind - if at all. Are the Scooby's times independantly verified or just a figment of the owner's imagination? I looked at their website and that car only has 556 bhp and 400 lb/ft... it'll be heavier than 1000 kgs. It's 4 x 4 will give it good traction but I still can't see how it would be that quick... the figures don't really stack up!

dazzas-atom300

Post by dazzas-atom300 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:26 am

times are from the Pod and elvington... and are varified by the timing gear... no way the Bug will do a 1/4 in 9.8... no way!

Much that i like it... 9.8 is 9.8 and that is quick...

the tyres are drag tryes, apparently to aid gearing on the high speed runs...

dazzas-atom300

Post by dazzas-atom300 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:51 am

[quote="Tim Arnold"]
[quote="dazzas-atom300"]
Bike loses.... So does Veyron by quite some way too...
[/quote]

I would doubt that... (not that I like the car, but...) if Audi's claims are true the Veyron would do 0 - 150 in about the same time, just under 10 seconds. It does do 0 - 186 in "less than 14 seconds" so it wouldn't be far behind - if at all. Are the Scooby's times independantly verified or just a figment of the owner's imagination? I looked at their website and that car only has 556 bhp and 400 lb/ft... it'll be heavier than 1000 kgs. It's 4 x 4 will give it good traction but I still can't see how it would be that quick... the figures don't really stack up!
[/quote]there are many 500bhp + classics around, and 500bhp in a classic generats quite some shove... Vbox data for a 522bhp classic scoob thats fully loaded i.e. as standard, ran 0-100 6.47 I think Andy f's car has well over 600 and thats a big difference, and has light weight everything...

figures are from timing gear... at the strip...
For reference Car and Driver 10.8 for a Veyron in the 1/4 mile... Jan 06

Zero to 62 mph: 2.5 sec
Zero to 124 mph: 7.3 sec
Zero to 186 mph: 16.7 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 10.8 sec @ 140 mph
Top speed (observed at governor): 253 mph
Last edited by dazzas-atom300 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:25 am

[quote="dazzas-atom300"]

the tyres are drag tryes, apparently to aid gearing on the high speed runs...
[/quote]

see, bike does win...again!
road tyres?

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:31 am

[quote="dazzas-atom300"]
Andy f's car has well over 600 and thats a big difference...[/quote]

It says 566 bhp on his own website! But I'm not disputing that it could do 0 - 100 in 6.5.... just that the Veyron would not be a long way behind... in fact more than likely in front!

For the record we took figures from the datalogging off a Viper GTS-R once (in a team I was with previously). A GTS-R weighs min. 1100 kgs (for the regs), power was at least 650 bhp (some engines were doing 680 bhp - incidentally without the regulation air restrictors on they do 1,000 bhp), and torque was somewhere around 600 lb/ft... 0 - 100 mph in 5 seconds. It's rare for a big GT car to do a standing start. Too much strain on the transmission... that's one reason why endurance races have a rolling start. With that much torque and power, traction is a big problem too.