Ariel Atom vs Bugatti Veyron

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Driver

Re: Ariel Atom vs Bugatti Veyron

Post by Driver » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:15 pm

I'd start to become worried about half shafts. Are you going to carbon fiber ones after you twist and snap the first pair?  :o First time it hooks up, they'll go with that much power right?

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:42 pm

nah, cars to light , they'll be fine! :-\

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:49 pm

Then I guess wheelie bars won't be neccessary either...  :D

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:38 pm

James, do you own a farm in Kent? :)

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:15 pm

I don't read the news but i'm guessing they've just found the bank job money on a farm?

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:53 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
James, do you own a farm in Kent? :)
[/quote]

Hmm, better not ask what that's about!

dazzas-atom300

Post by dazzas-atom300 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:26 am

[quote="haymanator"]
yeh but, those times i quoted were for a ROAD BIKE on ROAD TYRES. the silver yuki express ltd edition bike that crescent produced in 04 was still a road legal bike on road tyres, it cost about 40K but would do the 0 to 150 mph in 10!
BIKE WINS!
[/quote]

Not against this!

Andy F's road car going Sti... pic taken at the pod, it ran a 9.8 @ 147 1/4... drives it about as a daily driver too...
bike would a been left behind if he's have carried on also, it ran a 210mph at Elvington in the 1.5mile in 20 seconds

Bike loses    L

So does Veyron by quite some way too...

He's now fitting a cage though after having a little off!

Daz

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:29 pm

If he's just now fitting a cage then what are the people at Santa Pod doing letting him take runs on the track? Any track around here in the States will force you to put a cage in the minute you break into the 11 and definitely by the 10's. The first time you run that is the last time you run it without one. At least with reputable tracks that is, they don't want the liability. NHRA regs I beleive.
Last edited by Driver on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazzas-atom300

Post by dazzas-atom300 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:43 pm

[quote="Driver"]
If he's just now fitting a cage then what are the people at Santa Pod doing letting him take runs on the track? Any track around here in the States will force you to put a cage in the minute you break into the 11 and definitely by the 10's. The first time you run that is the last time you run it without one. At least with reputable tracks that is, they don't want the liability. NHRA regs I beleive.
[/quote]

Yep I know, as you can see no cage in the pic...

before his little off

not sure about the regs here but i thinks its 150 terminal and a cage is needed...
the off Andy had was in the wet at 135mph... a bit daft really running in the wet... ???

Daz

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:49 pm

I think we're a bit more relaxed over here about safety and cautions (not the litigious society you have - yet!)

For example, I've yet to see a sign outside a UK building that warns you that there may be carcinogenous materials inside. In the USA, it seems to be all the rage!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:22 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I think we're a bit more relaxed over here about safety and cautions (not the litigious society you have - yet!)

For example, I've yet to see a sign outside a UK building that warns you that there may be carcinogenous materials inside. In the USA, it seems to be all the rage!
[/quote]

Or one asking you to check your firearms at reception !  (spotted in Texas funnily enough)

Ben

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:05 pm

We have concealed carry here. It's illegal if they post it on the door to enter with a firearm. Usually you have to retreat to your vehicle and put it there. Even my local HEB grocerys store has a guns banned sign on the doors. After the Lubys massacre in Waco some years ago ('91 or '92?) people were more acceptable of personal carry. I was licensed the first week the law went into effect back in the mid 90's. Buddy was in the first class of instructors for this. I took his first class the day it went into effect. 2 days. Not that I'm a gun nut. But I do have them, I beleive responsible owenrship is the thing to do. People need to not be afraid of them.  If you don't know how to shoot then you'll be the only one if it ever comes down to someone breaking into your house. My grandfather has shot several people in his shop down in the valley back int he 70's and 80's. He lived int he back of the shop (attached living quarters), was wheelchair bound from a train accident and worked as a locksmith. Two wheels and a shotgun full of rock salt. The stupid mutha's that tried left bloody and in pain.

dazzas-atom300

Post by dazzas-atom300 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:29 pm

Honestly i'm so glad i don't live in the states... "People need to not be afraid of them"WTF,,,  i wonder sometimes ::)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:34 am

[quote="dazzas-atom300"]
Honestly i'm so glad i don't live in the states... "People need to not be afraid of them"WTF,,,  i wonder sometimes ::)
[/quote]

People should not be afraid of them, as long as you can guarantee that anyone with a gun is mentally sound, sadly this is not the case, hence be afraid be very afraid.  On the other hand swimming pools are responsable for more child deaths than guns in the US each year so perhaps Driver is correct.  That being the case do you let your child play at someone's house with a gun and a pool !

Ben, (also glad he does not live in the US)
Last edited by benyeats on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedRaven

Post by RedRaven » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:55 am

The guns debate can get out of hand real quick fellas.

Is it me or do the wheels on that Scoob just not do anything for its fastest Subaru title?

Just surprised it uses such high profile tyres at those sorts of speeds.