Ariel Atom vs Bugatti Veyron

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
haymanator

Re: Ariel Atom vs Bugatti Veyron

Post by haymanator » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:30 am

blah, blah, blah! bike v's car......bike is a slightly tuned road bike, started out in life as an £8k showroom model.
F1? well thats a little bit different!
a pointless comparison! should have been british superbike V's british touring car.....bike wins!

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:48 am

How many days now James ?

Ben

Hopefully about a week, it'll be started for the first time in the next few days and if there's no problems then a week.
The company who are making it are a 1 man band, so it's taking a bit of time, death traps come to those who wait!

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:16 am

[quote="haymanator"]
blah, blah, blah! bike v's car......bike is a slightly tuned road bike, started out in life as an £8k showroom model.
F1? well thats a little bit different!
a pointless comparison! should have been british superbike V's british touring car.....bike wins!
[/quote]

Honda did say they used the Superbike because it would be faster off the line than a Moto GP bike, and they did quote it as being a £1,000,000 machine... the Moto GP bike still wouldn't win! ;)

Perhaps a fairer comparison with the showroom-derived Superbike would be a GT2 spec showroom-derived GT car, say a Corvette C6R with nearly 800bhp... would be close!  :)

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:25 am

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
...The company who are making it are a 1 man band
[/quote]

Is it having a drum and cymbals fitted, James?  :)

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:35 am

[quote="Tim Arnold"]

Perhaps a fairer comparison with the showroom-derived Superbike would be a GT2 spec showroom-derived GT car, say a Corvette C6R with nearly 800bhp... would be close!  :)

[/quote]

bike would win!

my 2004 mag bike was a crescent suzuki rizla replica which didn't have that much done to it really.....it would still do 0 to 150 mph in about 11/12 secs. it cost about £12k in total with the upgrades and it was road legal! thats about the cost of the brakes on the corvette isn't it?
i have ridden what was essentially a 04 BSB superbike around castle coombe.... its accelleration through the gears was mind blowing!

SumFun

Post by SumFun » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:51 am

Genuine question:
Bikes have a higher centre of gravity, which does actually help with traction
Why is this so?

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:53 am

[quote="haymanator"]
[quote="Tim Arnold"]

[/quote]

bike would win!

my 2004 mag bike was a crescent suzuki rizla replica which didn't have that much done to it really.....it would still do 0 to 150 mph in about 11/12 secs. it cost about £12k in total with the upgrades and it was road legal! thats about the cost of the brakes on the corvette isn't it?
i have ridden what was essentially a 04 BSB superbike around castle coombe.... its accelleration through the gears was mind blowing!

[/quote]

Mmmm...  :-\  That's about the same as a GT will do... a "standard" (if you can call it that) McLaren F1 does 1/4 mile  in 11.1 @ 138 mph... and a GT2 car will beat a standard F1 hands down... more power, more grunt, lighter, sticky tyres, flat-shift sequential box. BSB and GT2 would probably hit 150mph side-by-side.  :)

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:03 am

Simon wrote: Genuine question:
Why is this so?
Leverage! The weight concentrated on the higher c of g of the bike (coupled with a shorter wheelbase) transfers onto the back wheel in a downward direction, pressing into the ground (or causing the front wheel to lift - this is the reason bikes wheelie and cars dont), while the very low c of g of the car (coupled with a long wheelbase) puts the weight transfer force more in shear with the road, it's pushing almost straight backwards intstead of rotating around a pivot point. Watch the F1 car as it launches of the line.. it doesn't tend to sit down at the back (that's partly down to suspension and partly to do with the laws of physics).

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:05 am

yeh but, those times i quoted were for a ROAD BIKE on ROAD TYRES. the silver yuki express ltd edition bike that crescent produced in 04 was still a road legal bike on road tyres, it cost about 40K but would do the 0 to 150 mph in 10!
BIKE WINS!

SumFun

Post by SumFun » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:11 am

Tim Arnold wrote:
Simon wrote: Genuine question:
Why is this so?
Leverage! The weight concentrated on the higher c of g of the bike (coupled with a shorter wheelbase) transfers onto the back wheel in a downward direction, pressing into the ground (or causing the front wheel to lift - this is the reason bikes wheelie and cars dont), while the very low c of g of the car (coupled with a long wheelbase) puts the weight transfer force more in shear with the road, it's pushing almost straight backwards intstead of rotating around a pivot point. Watch the F1 car as it launches of the line.. it doesn't tend to sit down at the back (that's partly down to suspension and partly to do with the laws of physics).
ah! turning moments if my 'O'-level physics serves me well. Thank you, makes sense.

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:29 am

[quote="haymanator"]
yeh but, those times i quoted were for a ROAD BIKE on ROAD TYRES. the silver yuki express ltd edition bike that crescent produced in 04 was still a road legal bike on road tyres, it cost about 40K but would do the 0 to 150 mph in 10!
BIKE WINS!
[/quote]

I'm still not convinced John! There's only one thing for it, we'll have to take a BSB and a GT Corvette to Bruntingthorpe and put it to the test! Now that would make a good story for a magazine!  :)

PS - Ultima's official Guiness World Record for a road car on road tyres is 0 - 150 mph in 11.8! See here!

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:04 am

McLaren F1 does 1/4 mile  in 11.1 @ 138 mph...

my old Atom did 11.5 @ 117mph!       

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:49 am

[quote="Tim Arnold"]
[quote="haymanator"]
BIKE WINS!
[/quote]

I'm still not convinced John! There's only one thing for it, we'll have to take a BSB and a GT Corvette to Bruntingthorpe and put it to the test! Now that would make a good story for a magazine!  :)

PS - Ultima's official Guiness World Record for a road car on road tyres is 0 - 150 mph in 11.8! See here!
[/quote]

i am :)
not a story for the mag i'm afraid! been there and done that! in an evo way which means it also included the bends around silverstone. and as you can probably imagine, the bike industry PR guys are pitching things like that at me on a regular basis!

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:50 am

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
McLaren F1 does 1/4 mile  in 11.1 @ 138 mph...

my old Atom did 11.5 @ 117mph!       
[/quote]

more importantly....whats the beast going to do it in?

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:36 pm

hopefully  10.8 @ 125mph