Ariel Atom vs Bugatti Veyron

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Tim Arnold

Re: Ariel Atom vs Bugatti Veyron

Post by Tim Arnold » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:09 pm

[quote="dazzas-atom300"]
[quote="FAST BUCK"]
The Veyron doesn't quite give me the 900hp per ton, so i think i'll leave it!
[/quote]

and what does may i ask... ;D my still awating 300 was my enforced option other than a new GSXR1000 @ 1075bhp por tonne...

[/quote]

With 1075 BHP/TONNE a Gixer stands absolutley still and doesn't go anywhere... add the neccessary accessory to make it go, i.e. a (75kg / 11.75 stone) rider, and the P2WR drops to around 740 BHP/TONNE... with the same weight driver a 500kgs car with 450 bhp will have a P2WR of 780BHP/TONNE! ;)

If you haven't already seen this, CLICK HERE - or right click and 'Save As'  to see how a Honda car deals with a Honda bike - Button, F1 B.A.R. v Rutter, CBR1000RR Fireblade Superbike.... three runs altogether... first run, Button's anti-stall device causes a prob and delays the car... watch the second run... and the third! (And before anyone says a Moto GP Bike would be quicker... The Honda RC211V Moto GP bike with rider on it has a P2WR of 1075 BHP/Tonne - the Superbike is only 90 BHP/TONNE less)... the B.A.R. Honda with driver in it has a P2WR of at least 1,580 BHP/TONNE).

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:37 pm

Nice Tim, i hadn't seen that before

We'll aim for the 15th then John

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:30 pm

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
Nice Tim, i hadn't seen that before[/quote]

You're welcome James! :) When can I have a go in your 450BHP Atom? As my movie namesake say's... I'll drive!  :D

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:41 pm

[quote="FAST BUCK"]

We'll aim for the 15th then John
[/quote]

yes, 15th it is......no pressure or anything......but.... the spreadsheet for the next issue has allocated space for what i'm doing in your car in the driven section.....
so it had better be ready!?!? oh, and good of course ;)

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:45 pm

[quote="haymanator"]
yes, 15th it is......no pressure or anything......but.... the spreadsheet for the next issue has allocated space for what i'm doing in your car in the driven section.....
so it had better be ready!?!? oh, and good of course ;)
[/quote]

If its not ready, he'll just nick my 300 and pretend its a 450! ;) In fact, if you want a stock 300 to compare it against (no towbar fitted yet, so no need to worry on that front) - I'll let my Dad borrow it for the day.

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks son,  I might have to take you up on your offer as the new car is on a go slow at the moment, I should have the car by then but I don't think it will be run in and tested.

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:55 am

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
Thanks son,  I might have to take you up on your offer as the new car is on a go slow at the moment, I should have the car by then but I don't think it will be run in and tested.
[/quote]

I'll run it in for you - you saw my running-in skills at Cadwell !

Obviously its up to John, but having a 300 and a 450 next to each other for the test would be pretty cool - and if you lend me a set of CF panels, the cars's look practically identical! Could even write the article as a father-and-son special...

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:15 am

[quote="Atom120"]
[quote="FAST BUCK"]
[/quote]

Obviously its up to John, but having a 300 and a 450 next to each other for the test would be pretty cool - and if you lend me a set of CF panels, the cars's look practically identical! Could even write the article as a father-and-son special...
[/quote]

yup it is up to me... and although it is a very generous offer....no thanks! this beast of james's is an interesting concept, it isn't though a factory endorsed product. therefore a comparison test isn't relevant as its not the replacement model...

also does james want to read that he has just spent, gawd knows how many thousands, and then i say the standard factory 300 is the better car ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 am

[quote="haymanator"]
also does james want to read that he has just spent, gawd knows how many thousands, and then i say the standard factory 300 is the better car ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Just don't say the 300 is better  ;)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:11 am

[quote="Atom120"]
[quote="haymanator"]
[/quote]

Just don't say the 300 is better  ;)
[/quote]

I will pay you if you do ;)

Ben

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:06 am

Tim Arnold wrote:
With 1075 BHP/TONNE a Gixer stands absolutley still and doesn't go anywhere... add the neccessary accessory to make it go, i.e. a (75kg / 11.75 stone) rider, and the P2WR drops to around 740 BHP/TONNE... with the same weight driver a 500kgs car with 450 bhp will have a P2WR of 780BHP/TONNE! ;)

If you haven't already seen this, CLICK HERE - or right click and 'Save As'  to see how a Honda car deals with a Honda bike - Button, F1 B.A.R. v Rutter, CBR1000RR Fireblade Superbike.... three runs altogether... first run, Button's anti-stall device causes a prob and delays the car... watch the second run... and the third! (And before anyone says a Moto GP Bike would be quicker... The Honda RC211V Moto GP bike with rider on it has a P2WR of 1075 BHP/Tonne - the Superbike is only 90 BHP/TONNE less)... the B.A.R. Honda with driver in it has a P2WR of at least 1,580 BHP/TONNE).
Actually 450kg Atom / Gixxer 1k would be exactly the same P2W once you take fluids, battery etc into account ie. 200kg Gixxer, 550kg Atom.

Regarding F1 car vs bike - Off the line  is where car's have huge traction advatage to bikes - a bike just wants to wheelie or light up the rear. In Autocar 0-100-0 test Atom300 & Gixxer 1000 where pretty much identical to 60, but between 60-100 the bike was about 1.5s quicker ie. Almost 50% quicker.

I'm sure an F1 car would still murder a Gixxer 1000 from 60-100 though! :)

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:41 pm

[quote="RichardR"]
[quote="Tim Arnold"]

[/quote]

Actually 450kg Atom / Gixxer 1k would be exactly the same P2W once you take fluids, battery etc into account ie. 200kg Gixxer, 550kg Atom.
[/quote]

I don't know the exact figures, I'm making some assumptions, like... an Atom "450" weighs 500kgs (which if it was the case I would also assume that to include the "fixed" fluids - petrol being the only real variable), I would also assume the same for the bike. With either machine, there's no point calculating the P2WR without a driver/rider... but the performance doesn't just come down to the P2WR... it's how the engine delivers the torque and power, gearing, aerodynamics, the laws of physics acting on two very different (in layout) machines. But saying that, I doubt there's that much difference in performance in a straight line between the two.

[quote="RichardR"]Regarding F1 car vs bike - Off the line  is where car's have huge traction advatage to bikes - a bike just wants to wheelie or light up the rear. In Autocar 0-100-0 test Atom300 & Gixxer 1000 where pretty much identical to 60, but between 60-100 the bike was about 1.5s quicker ie. Almost 50% quicker.[/quote]

That's where you are wrong actually, they don't! Ok F1 cars have big fat tyres and are heavier than bikes, but they have almost 1,000BHP (in '05 spec) to plant on the ground and in fact for a car with that kind of power, they are too light to do that at low speed... that's why they used to have traction control... and why there is great skill now getting an F1 car off the line without it... Bikes have a higher centre of gravity, which does actually help with traction (although it takes a skilled rider to efectively balance the available grip against wheelspin and wheelie), and as I have said, the P2WR of a bike is less than an F1 car, which will work to the biike's advantage. Now watch the video again... this demobstrates what I'm saying... in the last two runs (second run shows this best), bike and car do the first 75 - 100 metres together... only when the B.A.R. gets the traction it needs (when it's going fast enough for the downforce to come into play) to place its power on the road efficiently does it murder the bike... and then it does it big-time!  :D

[quote="RichardR"]I'm sure an F1 car would still murder a Gixxer 1000 from 60-100 though! :) [/quote]

A Gixer 1000 and ANY Superbike or Moto GP Bike, without any doubt! :)

This weight thing is the only thing that worries me about James's 450 when it arrives. I'm used to working with GT cars that have similar power/torque but weigh over twice as much as an Atom, and even they have traction problems from lower speeds. Example... we run Corvette's that have a minimum weight limit (under the sporting regulations) of 1,100kgs.. our cars (powered by 5.7 ltr normally aspirated V8's remember... very controllable power) have 450 BHP and 420 - 440 Lbs/Ft, and very wide, very sticky slicks... and they struggle to stick at low speeds... at high speeds we have the benefit of splitter/flat bottom/diffuser, dive planes and huge rear wing (as well as 1,100kgs) to press the thing into the ground.

Our 'Vettes will do 0 - 60 in about 3.5 seconds, 100 in less than six and top out at 185 mph on the gearing we use... so they aren't slow!

Another comparison is, I drove two Skyline GTR's on the same day at Elvington last year... one had 350 bhp, the other had 600 bhp... the more powerful car was not significantly quicker... because you couldn't use the power... it simply didn't have sufficient grip, except on the faster parts of the track, and that's the only place is was noticeably faster... lap times I suspect, were little different.

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:28 pm

Sorry i missed your post a few days ago Tim, your welcome to drive/slide it as soon as it's ready.
I do agree with Tim (and everyone else) that my new atom will have to much power(on full boost, remember there is 3 settings).
I love cars and every penny I earn goes into cars in some way or another,  but to be part of the norm has never been me, i've had a 300, i have a 220 niether of them have i mastered , but you only live once and if this car is the same around a track as a Atom 300 but quicker in a straight line then i'll be happy,  i just want to stretch the boundarys, maybe this new power and the turbo and the chassis will all come together and be the best thing since sliced bread or it could be pants, bring it on!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:41 pm

How many days now James ?

Ben

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:12 pm

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
Sorry i missed your post a few days ago Tim, your welcome to drive/slide it as soon as it's ready.
I do agree with Tim (and everyone else) that my new atom will have to much power(on full boost, remember there is 3 settings).
I love cars and every penny I earn goes into cars in some way or another,  but to be part of the norm has never been me, i've had a 300, i have a 220 niether of them have i mastered , but you only live once and if this car is the same around a track as a Atom 300 but quicker in a straight line then i'll be happy,  i just want to stretch the boundarys, maybe this new power and the turbo and the chassis will all come together and be the best thing since sliced bread or it could be pants, bring it on!
[/quote]

No prob, James. I'm looking forward to that then! :)