Turbo Not Working Atom 4

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
greenm

Turbo Not Working Atom 4

Post by greenm » Sat May 11, 2024 4:10 pm

Just looking for some advice on a recent problem I am having with my new 4. Went out for a drive today and lost turbo, so limped home

Restarted the car and its working again, but reluctant to drive it too far in case it causes any damage to the engine.

Oil levels are fine, no engine light, and the car has done 600 miiles and run in carefully

Any help would be very much appreciated

PhilM

Re: Turbo Not Working Atom 4

Post by PhilM » Sun May 12, 2024 7:47 am

It is probably related to the turbo actuator. The link below of problems and solutions for the Atom 4 may help (second row - car low on power). To look at the diagnostic menu, press and hold the menu button (bottom right on the AIM display) when the Ariel Iogo comes on the screen)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

greenm

Post by greenm » Sun May 12, 2024 11:08 am

Thanks Phil for your vaulable input, that certainly sounds like the boy, I will check the values. I assume driving the car while the acuator isnt working properly wont damage anything?

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Sun May 12, 2024 9:05 pm

If it just does it once it is probably the actuator not initialising properly. Turning the ignition off and on should sort that. Mine did it once, but never did it again.
If the values in the diagnostic menu are out of norm then it is probably a failed actuator. I think what happens when the actuator fails it doesn't let the pressure in the turbo build, as it is letting it out, so you get less boost and therefore power. I don't think it will do any harm, just low on power, but I'm not a mechanic

greenm

Post by greenm » Mon May 13, 2024 6:38 am

Thanks for the advice Phil, its much appreciated, the value was 7.1 which was slightly high, but not too bad, let's hope it was a one off

33bravo

Post by 33bravo » Mon May 13, 2024 4:27 pm

PhilM wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:47 am It is probably related to the turbo actuator. The link below of problems and solutions for the Atom 4 may help (second row - car low on power). To look at the diagnostic menu, press and hold the menu button (bottom right on the AIM display) when the Ariel Iogo comes on the screen)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk
Great list! Any similar list for an Atom 3S?

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm

I haven't seen one for any other version, but I expect there is some good experience in the forum to generate one.