Atom 4. Oil Temperature?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
cjalpine

Atom 4. Oil Temperature?

Post by cjalpine » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:29 pm

Hi All.
Is it possible to obtain an oil temperature reading on the Atom 4 AIM Digital Dashboard?
Cheers
CJ

abcoro

Re: Atom 4. Oil Temperature?

Post by abcoro » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:19 pm

Not standard. Only oil Pressure... However, oil temp sensor can always be added. You cannot read it on the dash but you can read out in the data afterwards when you have the data logger.

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:55 pm

abcoro wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:19 pm Not standard. Only oil Pressure... However, oil temp sensor can always be added. You cannot read it on the dash but you can read out in the data afterwards when you have the data logger.
How would you get it to be included in the logged data? We've had to settle for having a separate analogue cockpit dial.

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:29 am

I presume by by simply adding an AIM oil temp sensor and connecting it to the Strada Data logger? Data will then be registered in data AIM collects and can be consulted after downloading data on PC. Please note I don't have an oil temp sensor myself, but should work this way. Or am I missing something?

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:40 am

abcoro wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:29 am I presume by by simply adding an AIM oil temp sensor and connecting it to the Strada Data logger? Data will then be registered in data AIM collects and can be consulted after downloading data on PC. Please note I don't have an oil temp sensor myself, but should work this way. Or am I missing something?
I'm not sure how you would "connect it to the Strada logger". I'd been thinking of adding one or even two AIM TC hubs into the existing AIM Expansion unit, but as far as I know (but would be very happy to be told otherwise) the TC hub(s) would need to be specified in the main dash configuration and we can't do that because the dash is locked!

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:42 pm

You won't be able to add any sensor to Atom 4 using the factory dash as mentioned because it's locked. To add a sensor digital or analog, you need to be able to create and map a channel and calibrate it then send this to the dash. None of these things is possible with the dash locked sadly. Basically the AIM dash is a locked brick.

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:34 am

Guest wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:42 pm You won't be able to add any sensor to Atom 4 using the factory dash as mentioned because it's locked. To add a sensor digital or analog, you need to be able to create and map a channel and calibrate it then send this to the dash. None of these things is possible with the dash locked sadly. Basically the AIM dash is a locked brick.
Yes, but I presume when you bring in the car for service, Ariel will be happy to add oil temp sensor? But it's indeed not a thing you could do yourself when that data channel would be locked in the AIM dash.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:32 am

abcoro wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:34 am
Guest wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:42 pm You won't be able to add any sensor to Atom 4 using the factory dash as mentioned because it's locked. To add a sensor digital or analog, you need to be able to create and map a channel and calibrate it then send this to the dash. None of these things is possible with the dash locked sadly. Basically the AIM dash is a locked brick.
Yes, but I presume when you bring in the car for service, Ariel will be happy to add oil temp sensor? But it's indeed not a thing you could do yourself when that data channel would be locked in the AIM dash.
I very much doubt Ariel would do this because they would have to make changes to your dash configuration this means testing on their part etc They will add a brake pedal sensor because there is already a mapping for this but any other sensor like steering, tyre temp, brake temp, accelerometer etc. They probably would not do.

But I'd ask them anyway to check.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:30 pm

Can someone explain the benefit to Ariel in locking the AIM dash for Atom 4s?

- I could understand this approach if the factory actually offered a bespoke (chargeable) dash update/modification/reprogramming service but since they don't appear to want to offer this what on earth is the point in locking the dash and preventing owners modifying the display to their own preferences?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:35 pm

autobackup wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:30 pm Can someone explain the benefit to Ariel in locking the AIM dash for Atom 4s?

- I could understand this approach if the factory actually offered a bespoke (chargeable) dash update/modification/reprogramming service but since they don't appear to want to offer this what on earth is the point in locking the dash and preventing owners modifying the display to their own preferences?
I think it's partly to protect their investment, but the dash also incorporates a form of PDM to control lots of things like switching of lights and peripheral stuff which is probably best not open for owners to be messing with. Also, I'm aware for example that what you see on the dash as a speed readout is something like 105% of the true wheel speed sensor reading, and there may be other similar things that they don't wish to be open to scrutiny over. But it is extremely frustrating nonetheless.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:48 pm

In that case, if the dash was unlocked, there would be money to be made reprogramming the dash for those owners who 'f' up their dash - win win all around! ;D
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:03 pm

It's not so much the IP investment issue but rather they simply don't want people breaking their cars is my best guess.

For example, there is quite a bit of arithmetic parameters they have configured such as gear selection. They calculate from speed what gear to display on the dash in the case of a manual gearbox option.

Finally, I am not sure they have the skills in-house to make changes to the dash and AiM hardware and software anyway so it is likely an easy decision to just lock it with them holding the key.

It's a real shame because AiM kit is pretty powerful and flexible used in many race cars including nascar but in Atom 4 you might as well just have an analog dial showing your speed (pdm benefits aside).

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 am

This is a bit like the android vs apple approach, Ariel being the apple, they want to provide a sucker proof system which you cant mess with too much

Corten-Miller

Post by Corten-Miller » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:46 am

The mileage is built into the aim dash so this is the main reason it’s locked.

petemccrea

Post by petemccrea » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:54 am

I did wonder if there was some measure of having to ensure integrity/security of some of the data due to legal reasons, like ensuring the mileage is recorded accurately.