Front Plate - Do people care?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
mynamesnotbob

Front Plate - Do people care?

Post by mynamesnotbob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:17 pm

So this may be a stupid question, but is it really not an issue running without a front plate in the UK if you're in an Atom?

Most of my driving is in Cheshire and North Wales, two of the most pedantic forces for traffic offences - I've always run with a front plate, and so does everyone else I know. Frankly its just not worth the hassle of not round here.

But apart from the ugly bracket there isn't a way to have a plate on an Atom that is legal, so does the lack of plate or a sticky plate just get ignored by police in the real world? I get you can get through an MOT, but I'm talking real world driving

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Front Plate - Do people care?

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:52 pm

At the end of the day, it’s your decision of course.

Just because the legal plate mounting option is ugly in your eyes doesn’t mean it’s ok to not have it.

On my car, I went for the stick on plate on the bonnet. It’s not strictly legal but at least it’s half way to meeting the requirement of a front plate. It would be nice to think that most officers would appreciate that it’s not easy to mount a vertical plate and accept that you’ve made an effort.

With no front plate at all, that’s probably enough to annoy those other officers that think you’re trying to be a smart one and so want to take a closer look at anything else they might believe is illegal.

A search on here will show that there are many who have never been pulled for no front plate with quite a few that have.

“Are you feeling lucky?”
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks John - well I guess the answer is I don't feel lucky, or I'd rather save my luck for something more important!

I'm just surprised that its not more of an issue, I've even had police waiting at the gates of Oulton for a Lotus On Track day to try and nab those that were on track without plates and didn't put the front one on

Personally I'd rather avoid the hassle of worrying each time I'm out and about, a couple of the lotus mob have been done for the stick ons round these parts so its pretty rare to see them on anything these days

Spikey_head

Post by Spikey_head » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:10 pm

I got pulled in Cheshire for a stick on front plate. £100 fine and no points, plus an hour at the roadside whilst the most pedantic copper I've ever met did pedantic things.

mapes

Post by mapes » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:29 pm

I've also been pulled in Cheshire (some years ago) for a stick on plate. However I challenged it (politely) with a letter and a photo of the car and the fine was quashed...

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:29 pm

From my experience, I've had police come over and ask about the car and even ask to sit in it but have never mentioned the lack of front plate or questionably spaced rear. All it takes is one pedantic officer though but if they're pedantic enough then you'll get told off for the stick on plate too.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:34 am

14 years of Atom ownership, 6 months of the 720 without a front plate, never a problem. Plenty of police have looked at the Ariel, they were much more rare back then, never said a word.
A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

IanG

Post by IanG » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:21 pm

Only got stopped once in North Wales with [mention]jpswift[/mention] his was miss spaced
mine was to small
Just get it to a mot Center to be checked 🙄🙄🙄
All other times it just just a friendly chat 🙄
Attachments
Devizes
Devizes
90734EDF-E90A-4FB0-9D49-E05A1C8DAA65.jpeg (498.53 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Devon
Devon
07264B82-2AA6-4092-ADBA-357A3E07D65F.jpeg (129.11 KiB) Viewed 443 times

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:46 am

Thanks guys - appreciate the input - will probably get the number plate bracket, then see how much appetite for risk I have in the new year.

The rarity of the car helps I guess - but one day the luck runs out. Just making sure I hadn't missed some weird loophole!