Starter motor or battery problem?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
AlanP

Re: Starter motor or battery problem?

Post by AlanP » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:21 pm

Karl,

I recommend shopping at Waitrose...
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:39 pm

Everyone seems very quick to get the Vaseline out?

My tyres are a bit rubbery, get the Vaseline out, my engine top is a bit red, get the Vaseline out......

Is it an Ariel thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilTimo

Post by PhilTimo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Karl V wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:52 am I must admit, I made a slight tweak to the wiring of the lights within the first 2 months of ownership. Now, the entire lighting circuit turns off with the ignition.
Show me!
Ford Fiesta Van 1.6 Sport
Hyundai Tucson 1.6 N Line
Suzuki GSXR 1000
2016 Atom 3.5

PhilTimo

Post by PhilTimo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Back to the original issue - I have just tried to replicate the fault and I can't. Leaving the lights on for 5 minutes and it starts fine. This definitely wasn't the case yesterday!
Suzuki GSXR 1000
2016 Atom 3.5

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:10 pm

I use a ‘smart’ battery isolater to do the something similar to the buzzer but with a more modern twist! It’s linked to your mobile from Bluetooth and programmable with a cut off voltage to prevent you getting caught short. Also acts as a battery cutoff that you can activate remotely, which is useful if parked up somewhere whilst your doing a spot of essential business!

Happy to share the details if anyone’s interested in doing the same....

apr1962

Post by apr1962 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:00 pm

Smart battery isolator sounds good, where have you mounted it, presumably next to the battery?

Please share details.

I was thinking of asking the factory to fit an isolator in the centre of the passenger department by the gear-lever. That way you can’t have a grand tour Carerham seven moment at the traffic lights...

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:01 pm

Ariel Atom Red Top 25 Racing Battery.jpg
Ariel Atom Red Top 25 Racing Battery.jpg (201.62 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Acumen Platinum Duo Battery Charger.jpg
Acumen Platinum Duo Battery Charger.jpg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 437 times
I definitely recommend that you get a "Trickle Charger", as I always hook my Atom up to one if I'm not going out in it again for a day or so.

It must keep the Battery in good shape, because I've never had any problems, and it's still the same Battery that came in the Atom when I bought it new in August 2006.

The one I've had for a long time, is the "Acumen Platinum Duo Battery Charger" so I can charge both my Motorbike and my Atom at the same time.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:23 am

apr1962 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:00 pm Smart battery isolator sounds good, where have you mounted it, presumably next to the battery?

Please share details.

I was thinking of asking the factory to fit an isolator in the centre of the passenger department by the gear-lever. That way you can’t have a grand tour Carerham seven moment at the traffic lights...
I have it mounted outside of the battery box on the right (when facing the car) directly in front of the horn. It was a tricky fit to get everything to clear the body but as the unit is potted and completely sealed I have upside down to accommodate the main power cables. The most important thing is to wire all loads through it but not the alternator. That’s because it can’t take a charge primarily and will also avoid frying the alternator if you use it to cut the engine whilst running etc.

Happy to take some pics next time I go to the garage. It’s also good to avoid the isolator key trick, but you have to remember your phone too, otherwise you can’t start it either!

It’s one of these, no affiliation https://www.victronenergy.com/battery_ ... ry-protect

apr1962

Post by apr1962 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:54 pm

Thanks for that. Did you go for the 220 Amp version?

Is it easy to separate the Alternator charging cable from the others cables? My Atom is hopefully ion build now, so nothing to look at to check.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:19 pm

Yikes, hope not - that one’s designed for 220 amps continuous load!
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:41 pm

autobackup wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:29 am Sounds like the solenoid is not firing the bendix gear on the starter motor.

This is usually solved by removing, cleaning and replacing the power supply to the starter motor.

Sometimes 'grunge' has actually got into the bendix - in this case you will need to disconnect and remove the starter motor and then clean and lubricate the bendix gear before reinstalling and reconnecting the starter motor.

Finally sonetimes the bendix simply 'sticks' as it's out of sync with the flywheel - rocking the car in gear sometimes frees it up!
I agree the symptons defintely sound like the solenoid and it is a fairly common issue on the K20. You can also hit the starter/solenoid to shock it free if you can't rock the car in gear for some reason.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 pm

apr1962 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:54 pm Thanks for that. Did you go for the 220 Amp version?

Is it easy to separate the Alternator charging cable from the others cables? My Atom is hopefully ion build now, so nothing to look at to check.
Nope, I have the 110? amp version (plenty overkill) because it’s the smallest with Bluetooth functionality. As an added bonus you can wire the remote to a regular cutoff switch (without the ballast resistor) but only if you really want one on the outside of the car. I doubt that would pass the muster for FIA approval though so looks aside, not that useful.

There are other versions that are similar (racing supplies uk) carry an equivalent but nothing with the smart features, which is why I went with the Victron one. It also doubles as a slightly (cr@p) 2nd alarm in as much as you need a phone to ‘activate’ the ignition if you want it setup that way.

Can’t honestly remember the wiring details, I did buy a whole replacement fuse box that I didn’t need (long story) but don’t remember it being too hard. I’d be tempted to ask the factory what options they have too if it’s being built - I wish I’d though of that before my car was shipped!

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:30 am

Here are a few pics of my install for those interested....

Top with main wire going through tray bottom
TopDownWire.jpg
TopDownWire.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 338 times
Top down side view
TopDownSide.jpg
TopDownSide.jpg (1009.48 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Underside view of wires + remote etc
UnderShot.jpg
UnderShot.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 338 times

IanG

Post by IanG » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:27 pm

Having previously experience of this on my car
Same problem starter not engaging
Check all other avenues 1st as removing the starter motor is a long winded job
From memory it was about 4 hours 😱😱😱

PhilTimo

Post by PhilTimo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:43 pm

Since posting this, I have not had the problem re-occur. But I've not left the lights on either!
My heart does race though (more than normal), when I hit the start button after a stop!
Suzuki GSXR 1000
2016 Atom 3.5