Atom 4 - Pre Spec/Order Discussion

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
AlanP

Re: Atom 4

Post by AlanP » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 am

The factory now have 100 orders apparently, so I'd get a move on if you want one!
Also, they hope to have one for the press late September.

A bit disappointed when I was there that both cars were out, so no chance to post pictures I'm afraid.

A

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:38 am

There's a 2 year waiting list for both the Atom & Nomad - as at last week - so that would inevitably be longer, now.

Cheers,
Hedge

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am

I ordered my 4 back in January (well I officially ordered a new 3.5 with an optional delay but y'know) and I still don't think I'll be seeing mine before mid summer next year. At the time it was supposed to be 14 months but they have been busy! I saw the order book and the list was easily over 100.

It looks much more modern somehow in the flesh (saw it last week) but I think they are batting Nomads out as fast as they can at the moment as the 4 isn't quite production ready. If it does what they say it will then I think it will be bloody epic. Rookie and Henry seemed genuinely giddy about it (well we know Rookie is giddy about everything ;D )

It looks like a really well thought out piece of kit and I think its evolutions could be mind-blowingly fast.

Cheers,
Stu

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:07 am

2 Years doesn't worry me... once they release a price list for the various options... I'll do some thinking and if right, I'll pop my name down. I'm not in a rush.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:10 am

phil4 wrote:2 Years doesn't worry me... once they release a price list for the various options... I'll do some thinking and if right, I'll pop my name down. I'm not in a rush.
There isn’t a pricelist? So those 100+ orders are all people who don’t know the endprice yet? That’s pretty impressive :)

That being said, Ariel always made reasonable prices

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:21 am

speedmachine wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:10 am

Unless you put these two words in a sentence....carbon....wheels :o ;)

Cheers,
Stu

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm not convinced by the aesthetics of the carbon wheels, tbh.

Cheers,
Hedge

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:44 pm

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Hedge wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:42 pm I'm not convinced by the aesthetics of the carbon wheels, tbh.

Cheers,
Hedge
Agreed. I'd really like a lightweight option but £3k Dymag equivalent yes, £10k Carbon no.

I'd poo myself every time I put it on the trailer.

Cheers,
Stu

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm

So those 100+ orders are all people who don’t know the endprice yet?

They're not really orders, just a deposit to reserve a future build slot ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 pm

speedmachine wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:10 am
phil4 wrote:2 Years doesn't worry me... once they release a price list for the various options... I'll do some thinking and if right, I'll pop my name down. I'm not in a rush.
There isn’t a pricelist? So those 100+ orders are all people who don’t know the endprice yet? That’s pretty impressive :)

The price list is unknown but look at what you get at a known base price of £40. You get the bigger alloy wheels, lsd is now included in this, supercharger (now replaced by the turbo on the new engine) so no need to fork out for that. You get separate seats so you don't need the single graphite ones any longer. If the sound of the exhaust in the video is the same sound we will get then I think it sounds better than the old car - but this is hard from 1 small clip meaning you might not need a sports exhaust.

The things I will want are the ttx Ohlin adjustable shocks, 290mm 4 pot brakes, AP racing if memory serves me correctly they have moved over to and a racing gearbox if prices are more reasonable. So people know roughly they are getting a good deal even for the base car.

Compare this to anything else that is any good, Radical RXC > £100k, BAC Mono now silly prices, Caterham 620r starts at £50k. I'm happy with a £40k starting price. Granted all those aforementioned cars include a racing gearbox, this is the difference and I am looking forward to learning about the gearbox options on the 4.0 car.

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 pm

John Scherrer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm So those 100+ orders are all people who don’t know the endprice yet?

They're not really orders, just a deposit to reserve a future build slot ..
I believe they are non-refundable deposits so as good as orders really - otherwise you'll lose your deposit. This is unlike when ordering other cars i.e. Porsche which is refundable but in the case of Porsche the last I heard is it can be transferable. I think Ariel try to avoid people block booking build slots to avoid selling this on to other people at a high premium.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Hey all,
I’m one of those 100 people who have ordered the 4 with no idea what the cost will be (and if I can afford it) but hey, that’s part of the fun isn’t it?

It’s a £3,000 non refundable deposit and I was told on my order date (03/08) that it would be about 22 months so May/June 2020 for me :)

Can’t wait for the options to come out; I’m guessing there will be a big upgrade on power as per all the other Atoms in the past, just unsure if it’s a type 1/2 remap or a larger turbo.

I’m also excited about apparently a cheaper paddle shift upgrade too

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:41 am

I am one of the lucky ones and should get mine in Feb or March. Really interested to find out what options there will be for it. I am definitely going for the AP Racing brake upgrade. Wont be spending 10k on a set of wheels as I think there will be lots of other goodies to spend the money on. Unfortunately not a lot coming from the factory yet other than they should have a car to test drive next month sometime and also the pricelist which I think everyone will be interested in seeing. From what I see from all the pictures it certainly looks a much more modern and sleeker. Please keep the pictures and info coming. I will let everyone know what the car is like as soon as I can get a drive in one. I did 20k miles in 3 years in my last one and have been without an atom for 3 years now so looking forward to getting back behind a wheel of one.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Mark,

Where abouts are you in the country?

Would be good to share views on what you need it for and what options you want as a result, this would be my first Atom