Do any you guys do your own spanner work?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Sir Nick

Do any you guys do your own spanner work?

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Evenin gents.  As the subject, anyone do their own work?
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

benyeats

Re: Do any you guys do your own spanner work?

Post by benyeats » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:46 pm

I do stuff like oil services, brakes etc myself.  I will also take the car to the factory each year for a safety check

Ben

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks for that Ben.  I've booked my car (not actually bought it yet!) in for a check and service, as a baseline point to start with.  But I'm keen to do my own work on routine stuff.  Look forward to sharing tips in the future.

Cheers
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 am

ALL the Atoms I have seen advertised have - FFSH and so without this, how would it effect the value of the car? - would you buy an Atom that had been serviced by the owner? and is the Yearly safety check a good replacement for a full service - whats the difference?

Interesting post.........as I too like to do my own servicing on the toy! My 7 was only ever touched by me and the buyer had no issue with that as he saw the condition of the car.......and where it was kept and how it had been kept.

Whats the opinion on how people buy an Atom? I wanted good provenance myself so I suppose if I am to expect the same low depreciation on my own car ....at the very least the yearly safety check is a must.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:54 am

[quote="meladdo"]
ALL the Atoms I have seen advertised have - FFSH and so without this, how would it effect the value of the car? - would you buy an Atom that had been serviced by the owner? and is the Yearly safety check a good replacement for a full service - whats the difference?

Interesting post.........as I too like to do my own servicing on the toy! My 7 was only ever touched by me and the buyer had no issue with that as he saw the condition of the car.......and where it was kept and how it had been kept.

Whats the opinion on how people buy an Atom? I wanted good provenance myself so I suppose if I am to expect the same low depreciation on my own car ....at the very least the yearly safety check is a must.
[/quote]

I bought mine from a guy in Aberdeen so it had not been to the factory for obvious reasons.  It was also clear to me from an inspection of the car that it had been very well looked after and this was backed up with documentation (the factory used to publish a checklist showing which jobs should be done when)

I think as long as the factory have regularly seen the car then it should not be a problem, as you say most 7s are owner maintained.

Ben

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 am

:tu: Roll on......... :vroom:

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:02 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
I do stuff like oil services, brakes etc myself.  I will also take the car to the factory each year for a safety check

Ben
[/quote]

Exactly what I do, and in fact had the safety check last week. The factory are happy to give a list of things they think need addressing and will even talk you through the technicalities where nessisary.

One of the reasons I got an Atom was to do the spannering and learn knew things, and as everything is so visible and accesible it’s a great car to work on. Also this helps when viewing used cars.

payne

Post by payne » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Yup.  I bought a rolling chassis from Ariel, built my own motor in my garage, and installed it myself.  500 trouble free miles so far.  The cars are so open and so simple it's easy to work on em.

I've fabbed my own intake, cooling system, lighting system, trouble lights, glove box, and soon to be exhaust.  Then Aero, then hopefully I'm done.

Jason