Anyone use a Towing Dolly?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Mad Atom

Anyone use a Towing Dolly?

Post by Mad Atom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:22 am

My Atom Cup is very much set-up as a track car so I'd rather tow it to the circuit that drive it.

Rather than use a full blown trailer what are pro's / con's of a towing dolly?

I believe there are ones that tow with all 4 wheels on the ground and others(?) that lift the front wheels - which would be best?

smokin

Re: Anyone use a Towing Dolly?

Post by smokin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:55 am

Speed limit looks like the biggest drawback (providing you find a suitable dolly)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies#dollies

The use of dollies is intended for the recovery of broken down vehicles, not for the transportation of a vehicle from “A” to “B”. Under Regulation 83 of C&U a motor car is permitted to tow two trailers when one of them is a towing implement and the other is secured to and either rests on or is suspended from the implement.

When used for recovering broken down vehicles dollies are exempt from having an operational braking system fitted, provided that the towing vehicle is capable of meeting the minimum prescribed braking requirements for the combination. However, if dollies are used for the transportation of perfectly functioning vehicles they will need to be fitted with an operational braking system. Additionally the brakes on the wheels of the towed car which are in contact with the road must work and meet the specified 50% braking efficiency required for a trailer.

The dolly would also be required by Regulation 22 of C&U to be fitted with suspension. Regulations 19 and 22 in C&U permit a broken down vehicle to be recovered without complying with these requirements. However, there is further legislation under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 that introduces a limitation on the maximum speed that the combination can be driven - this is 40mph on motorways and 20mph on other roads.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

911tom

Post by 911tom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 am

They are not great so I understand it as far as safety, especially after reading smokins' reply. Also could be a problem as the atom is RWD. This is a potential issue as mechanical parts will be turning within the gearbox, at high speed and for long periods of time without the oil pump running. I am very much learning about these cars so it may or may not be an issue but something that needs looking in to.
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

Mad Atom

Post by Mad Atom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Looks like I'd be much better going down the trailer route...anyone got one for sale?

The issue seems to be the width which necessitates an altogether bigger trailer than necessary - twin axle, much longer, much higher weight capacity and therefore more expensive.

I'm surprised there isn't someone making a cheaper, shorter, single axle trailer BUT in 2m width - they all seem to only be 1.8m wide Ggrrrr!

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:04 pm

[quote="Mad Atom"]

I'm surprised there isn't someone making a cheaper, shorter, single axle trailer BUT in 2m width - they all seem to only be 1.8m wide Ggrrrr!

[/quote]
There are trailers that will fit an Atom/Nomad which are single axle and lower weight limits (ideal for cat b license). I've had trailers both from Woodford and now Brian James which fit the car, might struggle getting them in a single garage though...

911tom

Post by 911tom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:10 pm

I would be interested in details of these trailers. Just in case I fail the trailer test in a couple of weeks!  :vroom:
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family